- Q. How large is the database?
A. The database size is dependant on a number of factors. The number of computers, the age of the database (due to disk history), software and services all affect the size of the database. A typical mature database for around 1000 machines is about 100Mb in size.
- Q. What access rights are required for the program?
A. AssetDB is designed to be used by helpdesk and support staff, to this end the program can be run by anyone granted read access to the SQL database, however, remote scanning and some of the more advanced functions require administrative access rights on the remote computer.
- Q. How long does it take to scan a computer remotely?
A. This is largely dependant upon network speed and conditions, along with the number of software packages and services installed on the remote computer. Typical test speeds for full scans are:
- 100 Mb LAN Connection = 10 Seconds
- 2 Mb Leased Line = 30 seconds
- 64 Kb ISDN line = <2 minutes
- A scan of 150 computers across varying links from 64Kb ISDN to 100MB LAN = <15 Minutes
- Q. How much network traffic does a full scan generate?
A. A typical full scan will generate around 1000 packets measuring about 256KB of traffic in both directions.
- Database: Microsoft SQL 7.0 or greater
- Host Computer: Windows 2000 SP4 or greater with Microsoft DotNet Framework Version 2
- Network Computers: Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista